14 things to bake with the kids - Hot cross buns
How time has flown! Today is episode 14, our final episode of this series. Thank you for everyone who joined in and left some really amazing comments so far! The girls have loved each and every one. Now that you have the complete series you can watch and bake at your own leisure.
So our final recipe is the Easter favourite - Hot Cross buns! They taste so amazing whist hot with butter in the middle - yum!
For this recipe you will need:
500g of strong bread flour
1sachet of yeast (7g)
300ml milk (warmed)
50g butter (melted)
50g sultanas and 50g mixed peel (soaked in orange or rum!)
For the crosses
50g plain flour
2 tsp water
For the glaze
1. Measure and sift the flour and place into a bowl. Now add your sugar, yeast and salt. Place your yeast and salt in opposite directions in the bowl.
2. Add inthe cinnamon and nutmeg and mix together
3. Now add in the wet ingredients - your warmed milk, butter and egg
4. Keep kneading in the stand mixer until the dough begins to pull away from the sides.
5. Grease a clean bowl with oil and place the dough inside covering it with cling film. Keep the bowl in a warm place and let it rise (prove) for an hour until it doubles in size
6. Afterwards, knead the dough, knocking out some air. roll into an oblong shape and sprinkle in your fruits. Fold the dough so that the fruits are evenly distributed.
7. Cut the dough into 12 pieces and roll into little balls. Place the balls onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Cover it again with cling film and let it prove for a second time for another hour. At this stage, turn your oven to 180 degrees.
8. To make the crosses, mix 50g plain flour and 2 tbsp of water to form a smooth paste. Place the mixture into a piping bag and pipe on the crosses onto the dough balls.
9. Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
10. To make the glaze, boil the water, sugar and honey together and let it cool down.
11. After removing the buns in the oven, use a pastry brush to brush on the glaze. Now enjoy your hot cross buns!
Please continue to share your pictures and videos of your completed edible treats and don't forget to tag us too! Stay tuned for some more baking projects in the near future - we have exciting news to unveil soon! In the meantime, the full video is here. But for now, in the words of Gabby and Antonia "Stay safe, Protect the NHS, Save lives and GET BAKING!